MINISTRY OF TOURISM AND WILDLIFE
OFFICE OF THE CABINET SECRETARY
Cell: +254 786 650 000
NSSF Building, Block ‘A’, 20th Floor, Eastern Wing
P.O. Box 30027-00100
PROFILE OF HONORABLE NAJIB BALALA. EGH, CABINET SECRETARY FOR TOURISM & WILDLIFE- KENYA
- Hon. Balala is the longest-serving Minister in the Kenyan Government having served 25 years in service, with 17 years as a Minister, of which 12 years as the Minister of Tourism.
- He started his public service career after being the mayor of the city of Mombasa in 1998, and served as a Member of Parliament (MP) for Mvita Constituency, Mombasa County, between 2002 to 2013.
- During his tenure as Mvita MP, he also served as a Minister for Gender, Sports, Culture and Social Services from 2003 to 2004, and Minister for National Heritage from 2004 to 2005.
- In 2013, he also served as the first Minister in the Ministry of Mining, and is credited with delivering the Draft Mining Bill in 2014, the first policy and institutional framework review of Kenya’s mining sector since 1940.
- In Addition to his ministerial duties, Hon. Balala has advocated for community empowerment, promotional of cultural and local heritage, with enthusiasm in conserving the Swahili culture.
- He is married and blessed with four children and four grandchildren.