The functions of the Ministry are;-
- Planning and Policy-making; Overall tourism policy formulation, implementation, monitoring and review in collaboration with stakeholders.
- Overall co-ordination; Liaise and coordinate with international, regional and local institutions on tourism issues.
- Resource mobilization: Internal external resource mobilization in consultation with the Treasury for the development of tourism;
- Facilitation: Establishment of an enabling legal and regulatory framework, promotion of local and foreign investments, safety and security of tourists, and conservation of biodiversity.
- Product development and diversification: Development of viable tourism products and promotion of community participation in tourism.
- Capacity development: Coordinating capacity development and setting of standards in the hospitality industry.
- Research and development: Undertake and coordinate research in the sector.
In this respect, the Department is responsible for overall guidance and policy coordination for all State Corporations under its jurisdiction.